Hi Shel,
I ended radiation July 10th, 2003 and had the tube removed in December. I used the tube every day for at least 4 months after radiation ended and I needed that. For at least the first month after radiation I didn't eat anything much by mouth. It hurt to much and I didn't want to. I drank water all day, then tried some soup and milkshakes after about a month. I am almost 11 months out of radiation and I don't have to think before I eat quite so much. I don't eat chips and stuff like that any longer, not because I can't but because it's just to much work. I still have saliva, but it's changed and it doesn't break down the food as well. I went to Applebee's last night after my daughters school play and had French Onion Soup and the Southwestern Steak skillet...........with the onions and peppers. I cut the steak in smaller then usual pieces and I can manage it fine. It get's better Sheldon. You're at the toughest period right now, the first month after radiation. I remember sitting there waiting for it to "get better". It didn't. I read something on this board that said not to measure the improvement in days but in weeks and that is when I started feeling better. There is very little change from day to day, but from week to week you can see that it's getting better.
Congrats and good luck with it all.
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.