While I would never try to argue with Gary, I might strike up a dialogue. And since we have been "intimately" involved with fentanyl patches for the last few weeks, I am going to venture forth here. I do not doubt that they are safe for many people. In our case, my husband started on a 50 mcg dose a week before he had his 1st Erbitox injection. As a prelude to the Erbitux he got a dose of Benedryl and Ativan and within 30 minutes was having a very bad reaction--to what we are not sure.[ The chemo Doc say it was the Ativan] After 5 days of his being on another planet, I jerked the fentanyl patch when he had a 101.5 temp early in the am.[because the dosage can be excelerated by heat]. He got Erbitux #2 that same day, but no Benedryl or Ativan. Within 24 hrs. of the patch being off, he rejoined us on earth and has been lucid and coherent ever since. So how much did the patch contribute to his craziness? Don't know- I just know he is back with me now and the patch is gone. Amy

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

: