Hi Barry; Mucositis can be a real nuisance. It seems to have taken me almost a year to get the stuff that sprung to life after radiation to subside. It tends to flare up quickly, but as time goes on it goes away more quickly as well.
I have used the baking soda mouth wash hourly, the Biotene products (including the Oral Balance Mouth Gel) which were very helpful. Sometimes when nothing works I swished a topical anesthetic for relief. I drank hot drinks..cold drinks, sucked ice cubes, wore ice packs etc!
Other folks will no doubt have more remedies for you and my suggestion is to try everything...you never know which will work best for your mouth.
I still use the baking soda rinse several times a day just to control my oral ph as I have no saliva function now. It's no big deal, I just keep bottles handy if I am home or away. Biotene preparations are a permanent part of my life as well.
All the best to you as you take on this big challenge.
Fran B.

SCC Base of tongue diag. April 04 Stage IV, mets to rt. neck multiple nodes 35 rads+8 boosts First recurrence Jan05. Rt.rad neck dissection Feb02/05. Recurred with bone mets in neck July 05.
Committed to survival with dignity.