Hi Ron,

I had field radiation (37 total) and had injection of amifostine prior to each treatment. Although the shots were unpleasant, they became part of the routine. I was fortunate in that I didn't have any real side effects which others did. I had a total glossectomy and dissection to both sides of my neck prior to radiation and chemo treatments. I feel fortunate in that I do have some saliva and I strongly believe it's from the injections. That's not to say that I don't have my eating issues - there are plenty but mainly the inability to eat breads/bagels/pretzels/etc. - anything "dry" is tough. I can do it but found it wasn't worth the effort. Other than those types of foods I'm able (with the aid of A LOT of water) to eat anything else. Good luck in your treatments should you definitely decide to go the IMRT route. As many have said and as I'm saying now, many have been down this rocky road and we're here to tell about it!!!

Hugs, Nancy

Stage IV oral cancer (tongue), T3N2, total glossectomy with right and left modified neck dissection 7/03, rad /chemo ended 11/03