Bill:

Welcome to the board-any friend of Danny's is a friend of ours! Thanks for taking the time to share your story of great courage. My partner, Dave, is currently recovering from a neck dissection(Sept.) and 6 weeks of radiation treatment for a tonsillar tumor(finished this week).

I confess, I got a bit nudgy when I first read your post because Dave and I are just coming off the active treatment phase. I'm learning that the lurking fear of more cancer is real but can't be an all-encompassing thought that rules your life.The radiation oncologist told him this week "any reoccurence is likely to be in the first two years" and although I know that fact objectively, hearing it pushed a panic button in me that is easily activated these days.

In the effort to settle myself down,I've been trying to get in touch with the fear instead of letting it own me. I'm not sure if it's worked yet, but it's my current strategy.

So, upon reading your post a second and third time, I could gradually see past my own fear and recognize your bravery in the face of a what could have appeared to be insurmountable circumstances.I would appreciate hearing how you kept yourself emotionally intact in the face of your fear.

So, cheers to you and thanks for helping me with my mindset.

Best,

Kim

kcdc
Wife of Dave,diagnosed with Stage III Tonsillar SCC,August '02
Modified radical neck dissection followed by radiation therapy
'There is glory and radiance in the darkness and to see we have only to look"