My name is Tom and I was diagnosed with SCC on 05/21/07 to the left side of tongue and left lymph node under jaw, stage 4.

I started 40 Tx of radiation and chemo (cysplatin & 5fu) 1st & 4th week on 06/25/07. I finished up my radiation on 08/23/07, so I am a little over 8 weeks out from finishing treatment. I received my treatment at University Hospital in Cleveland at the Ireland Cancer Center.

As a note, my mother passed away from tongue cancer on 11/04/06 at the age of 71. My sister Michelle under the user name mcgee posted to this forum during that period.

All three of my doctors - ENT, Radiation, Chemo - have reported good news during my visits. I am just driving myself crazy waiting on doing the PET scan on 11/20/07 to verify that the treatments got everything.

I had a PEG tube put in on 06/04/07 and it was removed last week on 10/16/07. I believe this made a huge difference in my recovery. My nutritionist told me I needed at least 2,700 calories a day and that is what I did. I wrote my calories down myself on a sheet of paper and used those CARNATION BREAKFAST VHC DRINKS. I poured 6 cans a day (2 at a time) down my PEG tube.

I lost my facial hair except for my mustache and chin. I shave them with electric razor.

The hair on the top of my head thinned out a little, but never all fell out. I believe it has stopped thinning now. The hair on the back of my head around the neck line all fell out from what I am guessing is the exit of the radiation. Has anybody had their's come back?

I think that's it for now. I do have some questions I will be posting in the "after treatment" section.

Tom

Tom
SCC T4N1M0 left side tongue & 1 node
Dx 05/21/07 42 yrs old
40 Tx IMRT @ 70 Gy started 06/25/07
Cysplatin & 5fu 1st & 4th wks
treatment ended 08/23/07