It's true, what David says about how we all deal with the cancer demons in our own way. My son and I didn't find out about OCF until he was half way thru his Rad treatment and it has been a lifesaver even though he found it difficult to come here for help himself. When something in particular applied to him, I would tell him about it and when he resisted, I printed out copies to leave by his bed and from the comments he made later, I knew he had benefited from someone's compassionate advice. In all, he has only posted maybe 3 times. Perhaps the reason we don't often see both the patient and the CG posting together is that either one of them may not wish to expose their own worries or weaknesses on the other. I once suggested to my son that I could stop accessing the site, or posting, so that he could talk about whatever worried him without his mother knowing or being affected by his comments. He declined. When we first found out about my son's SCC, the first thing I wanted to do was check the internet for everything I could find out about it, but I was afraid to find out - afraid to find out the worst that could happen. It was several days before I could do it and only because I knew I had to find out so I could help him in any way I could. Just typing the words "squamous cell cancer" was so painful for me. So I can well understand the reluctance of either CG or Survivor to both post here. My son is 7 months post treatment now, still with some dry mouth issues - energy and tastes not completely normal - but he's ever so much happier and doing extremely well. And I am too! Annie - things do get better.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)