Hi Patsy & Doug. My husband was diagnosed with unknown primary as well. This terrified me and caused me so much anxiety at the beginning, worrying about the treatment being so much worse because they wouldn't have a place to focus, and he could not have IMRT which is more precise than the XRT. However, although the treatments were tough, it never got as bad as what I was anticipating and everything turned out okay. I sincerely believe that the side effects were no worse than if they had known the source. My husband is doing well, has some lingering issues but nothing severe, and his first scans following treatment were clear. I just wanted to let you know not to let the unknown primary diagnosis scare you unnecessarily. I wish the best for your husband and you. Take care,
Michele

Michele, caregiver to husband, Jesse, SCC diagnosed 1/5/06 unknown primary, lf neck mass >6 cm. Chemo (Cisplatin 2x; Carboplatin & Taxol 2x) & XRT radiation 39X ending 4/4/06. Rad neck dissection 8.5 hrs 4/13/06. 30 HBO treatments Fall 2006.