I'm starting a new thread that is a continuation of the progressive dysphagia saga. My husband was diagnosed in 2008 with stage IV oropharyngeal (base of tongue) SCC, treated with chemo-radiation.

Recent swallow test confirms high-risk for aspiration. Nothing by mouth is not yet recommended, as he is able to protect his airway sufficiently for now.

How is dental work performed in this situation? I'm thinking about high speed drills that squirt large amounts of water to keep them cool, pooling saliva even during routine cleaning, etc. I don't remember seeing this discussed on the forum. I hope that some of you in this difficult situation will respond. I believe that Brian would have personal and professional expertise in this matter.

The adjustments required to deal with treatment side effects are exhausting!
Lottie

CG to husband, dx @ age 65, nonsmoker/social drinker. Dx 5/08 SCC Stage IV, BOT T1N2aM0. 33 IMRT - completed 9/12/08. Induction Chemo (Cisplatin, Taxotere & 5FU), plus concurrent Cisplatin.
1/09 PEG removed; 5/09 neg PET/CT; 5/10 PET/CT NED
Dental extraction & HBOT 2013; ORN 2014; Debridement/Tissue Transfer & HBOT 2016