My medical team made me aware of the process by which they determine their recommendations. One of the most critical steps was a review by the cancer board. After all my tests (biopsy, scans, etc) were completed, all that information and my main doctors (Head and Neck, Oncologist, etc) met with the cancer board. In my case, this board met on Mondays. They would review my case (and others) and come up with agreement on staging, prognosis, and my recommended treatment.

Agree that for tongue cancer, surgery appears to be the first step for most everyone following traditional western medicine approach.

Getting the scans now rather than later could be key. In my situation, I knew I had something going on, my first dentist said "let's keep an eye on that" and I switched jobs and was lazy about getting a new dentist. If I had followed up quicker my process would have been much easier, better prognosis, etc.

As far as how did I navigate it, I told my cancer coordinator (not a doctor but an administrator) that this was my top priority and call me 24-7 if a spot opens up for any of these tests, appts, etc. I will leave whatever I am doing and come immediately if needed. From positive biopsy result to surgery was about 2-3 weeks. I think fairly impressive considering all the steps I went through (4-5 scans, 4-5 doctor's appts, cancer board, etc).

OC thriver, Tongue Stage IV, diag 3/12/20, surg 4/1/20, RT compltd 7/8/20