It is quite scary when you read the details and then suddenly it seems like the scope could be much broader than expected. They took half my tongue and my speech is now clear and I can manipulate foods fairly well again. I do have a small lisp and it did take months to recover to this point. My surgery prep included knowing they were removing about half my tongue, rebuilding it with skin and artery from my left forearm, performing a tracheotomy, skin grafts, feeding tube, etc. The medical team made it well known what they were planning to do days in advance. From what you described above, I don't think you are anywhere near this level of surgery or recovery.

As for scans, you may want to get a second opinion on that. Not much risk in a scan just some cost and time. But, I really have no knowledge of the value of a scan for early detection.

Another thought, I was lucky enough to find a few people that had recently gone thru similar surgery. I spoke with them so I could ask all kinds of questions. It really helped. The medical team was able to connect us with each other. Maybe they can connect you with someone that had a similar diagnosis. I would also be happy to speak with you live even though our procedures sound quite different.

April 11 - you got this. Keep us up to date.

Best,
Nels

OC thriver, Tongue Stage IV, diag 3/12/20, surg 4/1/20, RT compltd 7/8/20