Nice to meet you, Nancy. I have a strong connection to your story. 3 times as well...one cancer in situ of the cervix...1984. Felt great, forgot all about it. 2011 diagnosed with Stage IV SCC, 2 nodes, Base of Tongue. HPV+ All I can think is bad choices and 25 + years later at 51 I was broad sided with the diagnosis. Having a younger sister who died from Breast Cancer at 38 I was well aware of my genetic mutation which my sister's struggle brought to my attention. She was tested at Creighton University. Five girls and my mother, 4 out of 6 are positive for BRCA 2. So, I was looking to deal with Breast cancer was not thinking tongue at all. Made it through Chemo (Cisplatin, 2 rounds). 35 rads and although I lost a lot of weight I too, skirted the dreaded feeding tube.
2020, certainly feeling like I was out of the woods I found a bumpy, rough area on the right side of my tongue. I was sent home from my initial visit with my Oral surgeon at the end of September with a recommendation that I was suffering from bruxism. October 23, day before my 61st birthday I had a Partial Glossectomy. On Dec.4, I then followed with a neck dissection due to depth and size of the tumor.
I do applaud your optimism and understanding that we all have our unique circumstances but then I catch myself when I have even a sniffle or an irritating cough thinking is this something I should be more concerned about?
It was shared with me as well, "...we don't know, bad luck." But I do very much appreciate your doctor's assurance, "no matter what may come, we have something to help you.... New discoveries every day." I found myself breathing a little sigh of relief after reading those words.
Thank you for your entry and for sharing your experience.

63 years old
Nona to Alora, Emery, Ilyana, Harper, Nolan, & Rory. Yogini since 2012. Namaste.

Diagnosed 10/5/20 Oral Cancer/ RT side of tongue SCC Stage I Partial Glossectomy 10/23/20 Right Neck Dissection 12/4/20 Clear Nodes
BOT SCC 1/18/11 Stage IV N3 M0 HPV+ Port2/18/11
Treatment start 2/22
CISplatin 2rnds, Rads:35 treatments
July 12 doctors' deemed me cancer free-port out July 18.
Non-smoker, was a light-drinker No drinking since diagnosis