Thread Like Summary
Nels, Pandora99
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#201477 07/15/2022 7:01 PM
by Nancy H
Nancy H
In 2001 I was diagnosed with Squamous cell carcinoma on the right side tip of my tongue. I had It removed and 30 radiation treatments just on my neck (lymph nodes).
I soon forgot about it and didn't even feel like I'd had cancer.

In 2016 I was diagnosed with invasive carcinoma in my right breast, I had a lumpectomy (actually two as they didn't get it all), and 30 radiation treatments. This time I knew I had cancer but was still feeling very positive about the outcome.

In 2018, I noticed an indention on my tongue near the scar from my previous surgery. So,17 years later, there I was with tongue cancer again. I believe it's considered a new occurrence rather than a re-occurrence. I had about 1/4 to 1/3 of my tongue removed. This time I had 30 strong radiation treatments on my tongue and mouth. I had severe mouth sores, lost 36 lbs and was threatened with a feeding tube. I wore a Fentanyl patch and used liquid lidocaine for the pain. I saw the same Oncologist I had for the breast cancer and when I was finally able to ask without crying, I asked him what my prognosis was since this was number three. He said this was a conversation he'd had more than once. He took my hand and said "We just don't know, but I can tell you, no matter what may come, we have something to help you.... New discoveries every day."

I still have what may be permanent radiation damage which affects what I can eat. Nothing mint flavored, no carbonation, nothing acidic, and nothing spicey. Did I mention I grew up on and love Mexican food :-( Also, nothing crisp or crunchy? These foods are either too rough for my tongue or burn and cause sores. It has been an adventure testing and seeing what I can and cannot tolerate. A big concern I have is that my husband and I may be left out of dinner invitations due to my food limitations. Overall, I'm doing good now. I am able to retain a good weight. I really needed to lose what I did but I don't recommend it as a diet. When I'm feeling down, I remind myself of all the other people who have worst challenges...loss of limbs, blindness, etc. Guess we all have something.
Liked Replies
#201483 Jul 17th a 06:12 PM
by Nancy H
Nancy H
Thank you Brian for your encouragement. I can't help but sometimes feel that others don't want to hear my story and so I tend to keep it to myself. And then, when I do share, I ask myself ..... do I really want to live in this place where my life is all about my having cancer? It gets confusing for me and I'm wondering if others feel this way too. Possibly a good topic for a new thread?
1 member likes this
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23