Jim S,

I echo Brian's response, as I just received my first PET scan post radiation and chemo, and the words "possible recurrent or remaining malignancy" appeared on the report. (Some of the very few words I could understand on the scan report among all the medical-speak) I read the report on the Friday before Memorial Day, and my doctor wanted to see me right away. Of course, I had the torture of waiting out the 3 day weekend to get his take on the scan results. It was a weekend of planning my funeral services, wondering how this is possible after my throat was essentially destroyed with the radiation, and questioning everything up to this point.

Long story short, Brian was totally right with the limits of the test. The test shows activity, and my tongue still has ulcerations on both sides, so my Docs are thinking that's the activity that shows on the scan. So, take heart, and wait for all the info to come in. For instance, I am to go back for another physical inspection in 6 weeks, and then another scan another 6 weeks after that. -eric

-SqCCA Feb 2016, partial glossectomy
-SqCCA Jan 2020, partial glossectomy
-SqCCA Oct 2021, hemi-glossectomy, lymphectomy? (lymph nodes left neck removed)