My name is Jim, 53 year old teacher from California. Last November I was diagnosed with SCC on the right side of my tongue after I developed a canker type sore that wouldn't go away. Had a partial glossectomy and 100 lymph nodes removed (cancer found in 6) back in December followed up by radiation and 4 rounds of chemo. I had to stop the chemo because I was in rough shape between doing the two treatments at the same time. Anyway, just had my follow up PET scan this week and received my results Friday but haven't received a call from my doctor yet (being a Friday probably was out on the golf course or something) anyway the first thing on the scan results says there's a malignant recurrence in the same area as the initial tumor. I was hoping to be on the road to recovery at this point but it seems like it will be back to surgery for me now. From what I read, once you do radiation they won't put you through it again, at least for a certain period of time. Anyone who's gone through a similar order of treatments and results I'd be interested in hearing from. Really wish I was posting here with happier results from my PET scan, telling everyone no cancer was found and I'm just here to help! Take care everyone!

Last edited by Jim S.; 06-18-2022 03:10 PM.

Diagnosed SCC, 11/21
Partial Glossectomy 12/21
Chemo/ Rad 2/22-3/22
Follow up PET scan 6/16 - malignant recurrence detected