I have terminal cancer of the tongue (SCC, spread in nerves throughout jaw). I started my treatment at UCSF with a Head/Neck Oncologist with no communication skills whatsoever. It was also a long way from home to get treatment there, so I made an arrangement where the UCSF doctor would still be involved (I assumed that because he worked at UCSF he was better) and got a local oncologist to do treatments with closer to home.

The UCSF oncologist says you can only do cisplatin/taxol 8 times and then you have to switch. His next choice -I forgot the name, but it is an anti-epithelial cell drug that, in my research, doesn't work well on it's own. The local oncologist says he's never heard of a ceiling for cisplatin/taxol as long as bloodwork and side effects are not an issue and it seems to be working (my tumor is growing very slowly).

The local oncologist is an older guy, and not head/neck specific, so I'm just wondering how to make sure I'm getting the best care I can so I can live an active life for as long as possible. I'm about to be 46. I'm not ready to surrender to this stupid disease. Will bringing in a 3rd opinion just muddy the waters more? Once you get the opinion do you continue with that doctor or can that guide your current doctor? (Family wants me to go to University of Chicago, but I don't want to move back to IL.)

Any help is appreciated, TIA.