Hi Betts

I received 30 radiation treatments (60 Gy) for tongue cancer about a year ago. The pain lasted a long time, many months, but is essentially gone now. I have lingering tightness and occasional zingers (nerve pain) but that is more likely from my surgery. You stated the area is smaller. That sounds like good news.

Everyone responds differently to these treatments but I can tell you that I felt like exercise was extremely important to my recovery plan. Even though it cost me calories, I exercised essentially every day. Sometimes that meant light yoga or a walk. Sometimes I felt good enough to jog a couple miles. And, I was able to surf some days (I am lucky and live by an ocean). At a minimum, it helped my mental state, but I could also feel myself getting stronger over the weeks. It was more like two steps forward, one back, as it wasn't like I felt stronger every day.

As for being self-conscious of how you look or having spit cups with you, I get it. I had a feeding tube dangling out my nose and a hole in my throat (left over from the tracheotomy). At times, junk was dribbling out and down my neck behind the dressing and I didn't know it. The tube dangling out my nose cant be missed even if you try. But, I decided the exercise and being outside was more important than my pride. It took a couple days and a couple interactions with strangers of a "hello" as we passed each other on the sidewalk before I started to realize it wasn't that bad.

Maybe a friend or family member can join you? That helped me too. My wife or one of my kids would often join me early on. Also, I would sometimes go out really early so it was quieter/less people.

I hope you continue to recover and find ways to enjoy that which you did before all this. Praying for you.

Nels

OC thriver, Tongue Stage IV, diag 3/12/20, surg 4/1/20, RT compltd 7/8/20