I had a small bump near the rear of my tongue and didn't do anything about it for several months (staying out of Covid likely areas). If it grew I didn't notice it, but eventually it became very painful on contact and I got referred to an ENT late last year. His first strategy didn't take, so he did a partial glossectomy in Feb. He felt confident that it was benign, but sent it to the lab as a precaution. It was cancerous and the sample didn't have enough clear margin, so a second procedure was scheduled. In between a CT scan was taken - which was negative.

In addition to another partial glossectomy, my Doc removed ten lymph nodes from the corresponding side of my neck early this month. Three of them showed microscopic cancer. (What I have is invasive squamous carcinoma). The tongue sample was clear, though.

Monday I begin a six-week radiation program which will feature three six hour cisplatin treatments. We did a PET scan after the second procedure (also negative) but that didn't impress anyone on my team. The irony is that there is no evidence that I have cancer currently but a very high likelihood that I actually do. This is a pretty hard-core treatment program (to say the least) but squamous cell is fast and nasty if/when it comes back.

My point in telling you all this is that I think someone needs to look more deeply into your situation. Maybe I missed it, but were you offered a plausible explanation for your condition? I saw your note about the tongue, but not the neck - or the connection between the two.

In any case, I wish you the best of luck!

DW Wheeler