Vicki, my husband had oropharyngeal cancer as well. He never had a port. Ports help because the patient does not have to get the pricks for blood tests and chemo every time. It can sometimes be tricky if the nurses cannot find the veins. I asked the nurse one time and she said it was our choice. So I guess you can ask when you go in for the next appointment. At that point, my husband had had so many blood tests and infusions that he didn’t “care.” A port requires some taking care of, so make sure you ask about that too.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.