CONGRATS on finishing your treatments!!!! Im sure you are anxiously awaiting being able to finally go home. In case you have anything pop up, your medical team is still working for you so dont hesitate to call for any changes you notice. Rads continues to work even after treatments have been completed. Have patience in your recovery speed. Its still all about the intake, the better you do with it the quicker your will begin to feel a little better. Im sure you've had a very long road with rads and you still most likely will run into some ups and downs during your recovery. At least you will be more comfortable being back home and the worst is almost behind you. In 2 or 3 weeks you should finally be thru the hardest part of the entire journey.

For me, I kept my mask since I completed rads w/ chemo back in in 2007. I actually found a way to put it to good use. The mask is frequently part of my anti-tobacco presentations I do at local schools. Besides my admin duties with OCF, I do several other public service type projects that keep me pretty busy. I'll spare you the details of my post-admin projects. The mask is part of my presentation at schools that are within driving distance from where I live. It always has quite a shocking effect on the audience when I explain how the mask is used to bolt us down to a skinny, cold table for our rads treatment. If I had to put a number on it, Id say 12,000+ students have seen my mask at my school presentations. Im certain the mask was quite a conversation starter when the students told their family about their school day. You never know what your future holds so if at all possible, hang onto your mask. If nothing else, its a reminder of how far you have come since being bolted down to that skinny table.

Best wishes with your recovery!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy