Dizz_zzey,

It’s probably not, but I suggest seeing your ENT for a possible recurrence. That’s the first thing they usually check for with pain, difficult swallowing, etc. is a recurrence. After evaluation and or testing, if its not, they may recommend one day to have your throat stretched, but that’s after you have testing done from your treatment as it may effect the PET scan images if you have that being done. They may also refer you too a SLP, Speech and Language Pathologist, who can show you exercises to do and possibly eating certain foods, I forget if they can, recommend foods? I think they do as I’ve been to several. If not, you can see a dietician or see one anyway.

There are books on easy to eat, easy to swallow foods. They have foods and recipes to help you. There are several on the market and may even be for free? There are a few web sites too like dysphagia association. .

I usually mentioned any difficulties to all my doctors; ENT, RO and Medical Oncologist. Between those three the situation was usually resolved or at least watched more closely!

In the meantime, continue as your doing not to choke or even try not eating alone. Everyone should be trained in choking victims and recommend training in CPR one day for everyone. I got food stick several times, which I usually can hack up, but once it was blocking my airway. I was going to fall atop the chair edge to simulate the Heimlich manuever, if they still use that term (abdominal thrusts). It came out before I had to. Another way is to do a belly flop on the floor while turning your head and arching it upwards with your feet.

Good luck

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI