Hello all ! Brand new here , looking for some insight . My husband had floor of mouth cancer removed June of '18. Removed lymph nodes and a portion of jaw on the same side . The jaw was replaced with a titanium chain and his tongue is sewn over to that same side . (Surgery in Knoxville TN , about 4 hours away , but followup care done locally. Long story .) He went through 30 low dose rads after surgery, no chemo . His surgeon wants to do a fibula flap jaw reconstruction next spring . The local drs think this is an awful idea , mostly due to potential complications from dealing with radiated skin and bone in the area . Also , there is uncertainty as to what the ultimate long term benefits will be . I am looking for any info from those who have had this same procedure , ideally those who had it after radiation . Overall , he has been the model patient . Does 30+ sets of throat and swallow exercises daily and walks 5 to 6 miles daily . Eats well , for the most part , and supplements with Boost VHC . All drs near and far are beyond pleased with his current condition. All scans have been clear .His main issue is with the lack of movement of his tongue, due to the configuration the surgeon chose . This upcoming surgery was sort of sprung on us at the end of our last visit to the surgeon, so right now we have more questions than answers . Apparently , this was always his plan, assuming my husband recovered well and did all the recommended rehab stuff . We have an appt with the surgeon on Dec 2 to discuss further , at my insistence , and the consult with the surgeon and plastic surgeon is scheduled for late January .

Sorry my first post is a novelette, but I know the more info I give , the more helpful it is . Thanks !!