Hi,
I had a hemiglossectomy Oct of 2006 with a flap. When I was still recovering, the cancer was found again and I had chemo and radiation. I was declared cancer free in April 2007. the flap allowed me to speak, but not the same as before, I had a little slur. The radiation had shrunk the flap a little bit. I could eat small amounts of soft foods.
In August of 2018 the other side of my tongue was removed. I have about 10% of my natural tongue, the tip and the very edge down the side. This allows me to speak, with effort. A little garbled and some words I will never be able to pronounce. But there are many other words to use to communicate your thoughts. I can swallow liquids with some effort, but I CAN do it. However it's not enough to sustain life. Funny I was worried about speaking but I thought for sure I'd be able to eat the same as before. It has been an adjustment. I'm getting the peg tube put back, I'll have it forever now.
Everyone is different. Two people with the same cancer but because of even small variables no outcomes are the same.
When I was 19 I was hit by a drunk driver. I was a pedestrian, walking in a parking lot and was smashed into a parked car. It took 2 years to heal. I've been handicapped since then. I learned then that you make a life with what you have. It became my new normal. So then comes cancer. now this is the new normal.
Yes it's possible to speak and eat with a flap.I was able to do both the first time. There are different degrees and definitions of success. This time around I can't eat or swallow to get enough nutrition to maintain a healthy weight. But I can speak, a bit garbled and a challenge to some. But anyone who wants to listen to me can understand. This is my new normal. Anything is possible.
If you have a question, ask it. Ask every question you have. Don't stop asking questions. Answers, information and knowledge only make you more wise.
I hope this helps you.
Annie

10/26/2006. T2 N0 M0 SCC of the left lateral tongue, hemiglossectomy, with left neck dissection, and reconstruction with a radial forearm free tissue transfer
3/2007. persistence SCC along drain tract requiring chemoradiation.
8/21/2018. Keratinizing SCC Histologic Grade: Moderately differentiated (G2)
Subtotal glossectomy, with right neck dissection, and reconstruction with a radial forearm free tissue transfer