Hello Anaya,

I had Microvascular reconstruction, with my free flap harvested from my scapula area ( back muscle/ tissue/ blood supply, under left shoulder blade. A long 16+ inch incision! )

My question for you is #1. Are you at a large comprehensive cancer center, under a surgeon who knows head & neck cancer, and is very experienced in Microvascular reconstructive surgery?
And #2. Why the long delay??

My cancer has relapsed / come back 5 times, with my latest new primary, this April / May.

Sadly, my tongue flap has never been Functional. It is immobile..
And truthfully, I'm not sure if my Primary tumor is to blame, or just nerve destruction from surgery.
Before surgery, that huge tumor had already pretty much immobilized the tongue ( I could not extend it, lick my lips, ....And could not swallow well

That was April 25, 2017. .....by October that year, my surgeon decided to go back in and try to reconnect the nerve pathways, cut the frenulum, and see if he could get some mobility.
But in the process, he found more cancer....
Etc. And it has remained immobile. I just have to live with it.

I've had so many surgeries since then for more recurrences, and my flap is still non functional. Actually worse than that-- it is now sutured down flat, to cover the holes cut from it this May, to removed the new Ulcerated tumor with deep + margins.

Having a tongue flap will serve you well, though, because it does Protect your airway, to a degree, and it will assist you in speech. And if it is Mobile, it might allow you to take in orally .

My case is complicated, though and my cancer Modified Barium Swallow, August 1st, just showed that my Aspiration problem has become dramatically Worse ( one year after my Radiation treatments). I am now aspirating Everything-- thin liquid, thickened liquid, and also puree. All of it is penetrating deep through my vocal cords, then I have " early spillover". ( no control of the swallow) ,then directly aspirating into trachea and lungs. I've had 5 instances of aspiration PNA. .

After the swallow study, I had an esophAgEal dilation-- that was #7 or 8, since December.
Mine is severely obstructed, from radiation damage. It won't remain open, so the surgeon has to repeat it every 5-6 weeks.

You can ask questions about the surgery... I'm sure there are others here who have a functional Flap.
In my case, I think there was just too much damage to begin with from my huge primary tumor..
My glossectomy was Subtotal,. I have maybe 1/4- 1/5 of my natural tongue left.
On a Taste scale, my Radiation Oncologist puts me at 0% out of 100%. The back muscle has no taste buds !

C