I'm not sure if my input would help since I didn't have to go through as much as he is being asked to go through, but a friend of mine from church had similar experiences at a similar age. I didn't know him well before my cancer because of our age difference, but folks contrived to get us introduced after, to help lift my spirits. (It worked, but not as they expected ... it turned out he'd served with my late father and that was very precious to me.) Anyway, he went through more procedures than I had ever heard of (outside my further readings in this forum!) and he kept on keeping on. He admitted that it did change his quality of life, but he preferred it to giving up altogether. It's a very personal choice, but for him, at least, it was something worth fighting for.

That said, if someone DOES choose to keep on trying treatments ... make sure that there's someone advocating for supportive care ... pain medications, anxiety medications, fresh hobbies, tasty foods (very subjective) ... whatever it takes to make it worth getting up each morning and facing each day. The little things become the big things. That's true no matter what treatment level, but the bigger, the more important. (I spent fortunes on audiobooks and a game website, but it did help pass the time when my brain was functional enough to care.)

((hugs)) to you both! And make sure there's care for you too!

Surgery 5/31/13
Tongue lesion, right side
SCC, HPV+, poorly differentiated
T1N0 based on biopsy and scan
Selective neck dissection 8/27/13, clear nodes
12/2/13 follow-up with concerns
12/3/13 biopsy, surgery, cancer returned
1/8/14 Port installed
PEG installed
Chemo and rads
2/14/14 halfway through carboplatin/taxotere and rads
March '14, Tx done, port out w/ complications, PEG out in June