Hi Justin! Welcome to OCF!

All patients are different and will experience things in their own, unique way. That includes how they are with medications, treatments, recovery, surgeries etc... I'll try to help with info Ive learned over the past 12 years of being part of OCF. Being 7 months post surgery and still have such a large bump on your tongue, I would suggest first going back to your doc to get rechecked to make sure everything is ok. Once you find out that everything is going as expected then ask about getting another surgery for reconstruction. Since you have a few months to wait until you can do the reconstructive surgery, theres no major rush to get moving on this immediately. Plus you still are in the recovery phase from trying to bounce back from rads which can take 2 years for a complete recovery. By waiting a few months it gives you more time to recover. My docs
all made me wait until I was at least one year after the surgery before they would do any reconstruction. Many patients find a second surgery is necessary to trim down the area that was operated on. I was told by my doc that once you hit the one year mark the patient is as good as they will be and the swelling should have receded. Usually reconstructive surgeries are much smaller and simpler than the original operation. Its usually a quick surgery done on an outpatient basis. Sometimes a second reconstructive surgery is needed so dont be surprised if you need another surgery down the road.

Best wishes with your continued recovery!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma