I've got the ruined thyroid too. I had carboplatin, but that's very close to cisplatin, isn't it? It does seem we all end up with that, but I thought it was the radiation. My rads doctor seemed to think so, but only in the way that he was quick to make sure I didn't blame HIM if my thyroid was fried (which had not occurred to me till he acted that way, sigh) ... his words to me were, "Well, it wouldn't have failed if it wasn't weak in the first place." Which I took to mean, "Yep, it was the radiation, but it's still your fault." Gah.

I didn't have to take anything else along with the HBO, though perhaps some movies for the TV would have been a good idea. Fortunately the room nurses had similar tastes in TV (we watched a lot of Food Network and HGTV, I think) which wasn't too bad (though watching all that good food is just torture for us oral cancer patients!). But each tube had its own screen, and we could choose our own channels, and if the nurses didn't want to listen in, they just muted the outside TV. All good. We swapped a lot of recipes. smile

Surgery 5/31/13
Tongue lesion, right side
SCC, HPV+, poorly differentiated
T1N0 based on biopsy and scan
Selective neck dissection 8/27/13, clear nodes
12/2/13 follow-up with concerns
12/3/13 biopsy, surgery, cancer returned
1/8/14 Port installed
PEG installed
Chemo and rads
2/14/14 halfway through carboplatin/taxotere and rads
March '14, Tx done, port out w/ complications, PEG out in June