Hi Barbara! Ive been following your posts since you joined OCF. Our members have welcomed you with open arms and given you some excellent advice so far. Your husbands surgery was scheduled for the 28th. Im checking in to see how you both are making out. Being a caregiver is not an easy job! Im sure you have the weight of the world on your shoulders right now. Just remember, you arent alone with this, we are here to help and to lean on when you feel overwhelmed.

Mandibulectomies can be very long and involved surgeries. Ive had a mandibulectomy and completely understand how difficult that kind of surgery can be. Your husband will probably be like most of us who have had this surgery and not remember much of his time in the hospital. Dont be surprised if your husbands docs keep him medically sedated so he sleeps for a few days to give his body a chance to start healing. Its actually a good thing to sleep thru the first few days after this major surgery.

If your husband is in alot of pain ask his docs to prescribe at least 2 different pain medications so he wont have to wait for the right time before he is allowed to have his pain meds. With 2 options he can switch them on and off to make his pain levels remain lower and more stabilized. At least thats what I found worked the best for me. If you have friends and relatives that want to visit your husband try to stagger their visits and maybe they wouldnt mind hanging around for a few hours to give you a break to catch your breath or to take care of other responsibilities. If possible having someone stay there with your husband 24/7 especially if his speech is not clear or if he is in alot of pain. Almost all hospitals will have no overnight visitors rules. You should still ask if you want to stay there with your hubby, many times the nurses will allow someone to stay even though its against the hospitals rules.

Wishing both you and your hubby all the very best. Im hoping all has been going smoothly and Im looking forward to hearing your update.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma