Thank you, Christine! It helps to have advice from those who have been there. I am a natural planner and like to plan my future vacation trips and other activities, but with this weight on my shoulders, not knowing what treatment I will have and what kind of timeline I have before me, it is stretching my patience and helping me see that there are so many things outside my control. It helps to have some things that I can control.

I am not exercising currently. I assume that it will only help to start exercising and building muscle. From many things I have read on this site, it seems most people lose weight and it is often muscle weight, which is not healthy. I would love to lose excess fat without the muscle loss, but that's not in my control either.

I have read on some sites that some vitamins and minerals help stop the cancer cells from doing more damage, especially beta carotene and vitamin A. I am trying to eat a diet higher in these foods.

I have read much about losing taste sensations and things tasting like metal. What foods did you find easiest to eat? I'm thinking protein drinks and bland soft foods. Before and after my biopsy, there are areas of my mouth that burn when I eat certain spicy foods and some chocolate.

I am a single woman and live alone with my dog. My mother lives about 4 miles away. Assuming I will have surgery, which is what the oral surgeon that did my biopsy believes, will I need a caregiver full time or could my mom come twice a day to check on me. Will I need to make arrangements to board my dog or have someone care for her? Will I have energy to get up and walk her during my recovery? How many weeks will I be out of work or will I be able to work at home?

There are so many questions running through my mind and I know every person is different and no one knows these answers. But, that is where I am right now in processing my situation.

I have not gotten a second opinion, so that is great advice and looking for a CCC.

Thanks for your support,
Tammy

12/14/18 SCC Lower L gum near L Molar
12/26/18 PET/CT scans showed no spreading
4/15/19 surgery to remove a large piece of lower left jawbone with 5 teeth attached, 54 lymph nodes tested were negative, stage 1 SCC had not spread beyond initial site, Feeding tube through nose for 10 days
May/June 2019 - starting to investigate reconstructive options - create a new jawbone that will support dental implants is an option