Hi everyone,

I am 51 years old and am new to the forum. I had a sore area in my mouth that bled when I brushed and flossed from August-December 2018 and it was thought to be an infection. It was biopsied on 12/10/18 and I was diagnosed with SCC on 12/14/18. My consultation with the surgeon is 2/18/19 at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta. I have so many questions, but don't have a lot of information at this point.

I have never been a tobacco user and I don't yet know what is the cause of the SCC. My maternal uncle died of Oral Cancer in May 2010 at age 65. He was a former smoker and a recent chewing tobacco user. My grandmother had SCC on the back of her leg, but did not die of cancer. My oral surgeon that did my biopsy believes that there could be a genetic predisposition.

I had a CT Scan on 12/15/18 and it showed no change in lymph nodes that had been scanned in 3/2017 and 9/2017. In early 2017, I had felt a large lymph node in my neck under my jaw bone near my chin and it was scanned and we found 8 large lymph nodes. They were biopsied and found to be benign. A recheck in Sept 2017 showed no change. The CT scan in Dec 2018 also showed no change in size.

On Dec 26, 2018, I had a PET Scan. The summary results showed the cancer has not spread; however, there is reference to hypermetabolic activity in a lymph node in my neck and along my jawline and in the Buccal (check side) of my pre-molar teeth (the site of the biopsy) and also in the tonsils; however, I had my tonsils removed at age 7. The biopsy had clear margins.

It has been over a month since my diagnosis and I can feel changes in my gum tissue surrounding the area that was biopsied. I am wondering if there are things I should start or stop doing while I wait 4 more weeks for my surgeon consultation. I have stopped using mouthwash with alcohol, but even the non-alcohol based mouthwash sometimes burns the affected area in my mouth.

I am also wondering what can be done to ensure the cancer will be beaten and not return (if that is possible).

I am grateful for any advice others can share.

Tammy

Last edited by TammyD; 01-21-2019 11:10 AM.

12/14/18 SCC Lower L gum near L Molar
12/26/18 PET/CT scans showed no spreading
4/15/19 surgery to remove a large piece of lower left jawbone with 5 teeth attached, 54 lymph nodes tested were negative, stage 1 SCC had not spread beyond initial site, Feeding tube through nose for 10 days
May/June 2019 - starting to investigate reconstructive options - create a new jawbone that will support dental implants is an option