Tammy, I truly appreciate you.

We have her first appointment with the oncology radiologist on Wednesday. I am hoping they will refer to (and I will ask for) a nutrition consultation. This is going to be tough, as she is sensitive to dairy. Smoothies will need to be dairy-free. Although, I think she can eat yoghurt, so that may help & also add protein.

Loyola Cancer Center gives all oral cancer patients a g-tube preemptively, before even their first treatment. She keeps saying "I hope I don't have to use it". I try to help her accept that it wouldn't be a failure... that the important thing is that she stay hydrated and receive enough nutrition. Thank you for the advice about swallowing as "exercise" for those muscles. I had not thought of it that way.

She has an appointment with the "Oral Department" on Thursday to make a custom mouth guard. I believe this is intended to protect her teeth & gums as much as possible during treatment. They did not have this department just a few years ago when my coworker's husband went through treatment & had to fight between medical & dental insurance & hospital to get it covered. I am sensing you are in the UK, Im hoping you and yours did not have to struggle in that regard.

Will add "Thrush prevention" to my list of things to ask about... will need to research signs & symptoms.

I am not surprised that the list "sounds negative". I know this is going to be hellish for my sweet mother. I don't know if this is common, but my personal fears have nothing to do with the cancer itself... I am terrified of what these treatments will do to her quality of life. She has been very independent & cares for *everyone*. She lives in a seniors-only flat, and she helps care for so many of the others. She helps my brother's family with her grandchildren. She took care of both of her own parents when they were dying (both of cancer... she truly is terrified).

I feel so fortunate to have found this group. <3