Connie... most of our members do NOT have a recurrence. It may appear like most of the more regular posting members have recurrences but thats not an good sampling of patients. If we look at all of our members you would see recurrences affect less than 50% of those treated. Many of our regular posting members spend more time here and post more often than those who were diagnosed, went thru treatment, the recovery hell and have happily returned back to their usual routines living life almost as they did pre-cancer. Many of those one timers do not want to be reminded of some of the hardest days of their lives so they avoid coming back. I was superstitious myself after my first round of OC. I was so terrified of a recurrence I avoided the recurrence section like the plague, I wouldnt read any posts there. My fears quickly changed when I realized by avoiding reading something in reality that played no part if I ended up having cancer or not.

With so many variables and your husbands struggles with his recovery, it could be any number of things going on. Sounds to me like his team is making certain to check everything. You never know if the tumor was completely eliminated with the original treatment plan or if something missed, or is the "spot" a brand new/different cancer, or is it scar tissue? So many things are possibilities. Best thing in this situation is the medical team is already in place and is keeping close watch on their patient. Taking a biopsy right away is very smart (and what all patients should expect) so they will know if he has something serious. Its so much better to have a proactive medical team than the "watch and wait" type!

Hang in there!!!

Main OCF Site... Oral Cancer Facts

Last edited by ChristineB; 12-13-2018 12:32 PM.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma