So... a year will pass next month on the 6th since my father underwent surgery for basal cell carcinoma. It involved removing almost half of the jaw bone and then a skin graft.

The swelling has significantly come down from the outer side. But my father feels that it is not improving from within. He says that the swelling is increasing from within. I did talk to the plastic surgeon who said that "The bulk of the flap is needed to give his face a better shape" and for the swelling on the inside said "That is because the flap does not have any sensation". The doctor gave us a time of 1 and a half years post rad for the swelling to come down completely. The rads were completed mid-February this year.

We do have to go to consult the doctor but my father cannot travel as of now. He is feeling very weak and doesn't eat properly. He also is experiencing severe back and abdominal pain for which we are consulting a doctor in our city. So, to sum up, he cannot travel (the operation took place in a different city).

I want to know about your experiences with the swelling and how long it takes to be normal? Does it feel like the swelling has sometimes increased on the inside or the feeling of stuffiness in the mouth?

Also what exactly is the use of a 'bite guard prosthesis'? Father couldn't get one because the swelling didn't allow to take measurements.

PS: He has no problem in breathing.

Erk