Welcome to OCF, Will.

There definitely are things patients should do to prepare for CT/PET scans. I would suggest adding high protein whey powder added into drinks or soup (use the unflavored one). The whey powder is readily available in most grocery and drug stores. Protein helps speed healing.... on a limited diet this is even more important. To prepare patients getting ready to get a CT or PET scan, they should drink lots of water the day prior to, day of and day after the scan as well to help flush the dye or contrast out of his system. You should also avoid exercise, any exertion and get extra rest the day before and of the scan.

As you already know, milkshakes and smoothies are easier going down than many other things. Im glad to see you are using ensure /boost already to try making the most balanced diet you can have. The following list should help you to find things you can eat easily like canned peaches (these will slide right down) or cream soups. I also enjoyed yoo-hoo and chocolate milk during rads and recovery, plus the extra calories sure didnt hurt. You may find something on this list would help you too, after your scan.

Milkshakes and smoothies are easier going down than many things. Also try ensure or boost to try taking in the most balanced diet as possible. The following list should help you to find things you can eat easily like canned peaches (these will slide right down) or cream soups. I also enjoyed yoo-hoo and chocolate milk during rads and recovery, plus the extra calories sure didnt hurt. You may find that would help you too.

List of Easy to Eat Foods

Here is a recipe for something I used to make and drink when I went thru treatments and recovery in 2007. This shake has anywhere from 1500-2500 calories depending on how its made. The list of easy to eat foods may help you too, they mostly have a smoother texture and are easier to eat than most other foods.

(All measurements are estimates)

Giant High Calorie Choc-Peanut Butter Milkshake

3 or 4 cups chocolate ice cream (regular/full fat type)
2 tablespoons peanut butter (smooth type)
2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
1 or 2 cups whole milk (can substitute half and half to add even more calories)
1 scoop carnation instant breakfast
1 scoop high protein whey powder
(protein helps with healing, check with doc if this is ok)

Blend this extra long to make it very smooth and creamy so it goes down easier. If the shake is too thick, add more milk to thin it down to whatever consistency works best for you.

I almost forgot... Centrum now has an adult liquid multivitamin thats readily available at grocery and drug stores. Ive been taking it daily for 6+ months and can honestly say its helped me tremendously. Check with your doc before adding anything to your diet... you just never know even something insignificant over the counter could cause undesired results so its always wise to ask before using something new.

Best wishes with your upcoming scan!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy