I was hoping to get a couple of opinions related to follow up visits. I have been doing great after my surgery as noted below for 3 1/2 years. I recently moved to the West from KY. My doctor in KY let me come for check ups every month at first, then every two months, then every 3 months. I went today to the new Cancer Center I will be going to. I was super stressed out because I have been seeing the same doctor this whole time. This new doctor said I don't need to come in 3 months and gave me an appointment six months from now. I do not like this at all. Why wait six months? If it is going to return, better to find out sooner than later, right? He said the recurrence rate drops significantly after 2 years, so just come in 6 months. If I see something or feel something, then come sooner! By the time I FEEL something, it could be too late. Unless the recurrence rate drops to 0% I prefer to go more often. I totally don't get this. If it's so unlikely to return, why do they have you come back at all??? I don't see the harm in going every 3 months just to play it safe.

I thought maybe to just go to another doctor for a check up after three months. Then go back to this guy.

So, am I crazy or something? I don't think I can wait 6 months. Please can I get a couple of opinions? Am I being unreasonable? I don't think so!

Denise

Biopsy tongue 3/24/15
Diagnosis SCC tongue/floor of mouth
Partial glossectomy, resection and right neck dissection done
4/22/15
T2aN0M0
05/01/2015-no further treatment indicated at this time,
monthly check ups for two years