Kristin - While I understand what you are saying, HPV+ SSCOT tumors have a distinctive marking. They might not know how you contracted HPV but they know for sure that HPV is the cause of the mutation and your specific tumor.

For HPV- SSCOT, and I’m not sure if any of you mentioned this in previous posts, I also think it’s worth noting that it’s interesting that the increase has been seen predominantly in Caucasian females. Although, I’m not sure if it’s more prevalent in other races now than when that information was first presented?

I would ask another question too which is if our segment (or possibly people in general who are non-smokers, not heavy drinkers and HPV-) who get SCC are prone to canker sores and (and I know this might seem weird but stay with me for a second) maybe acne? If it’s happening in people who are already prone to inflammation, there might be something there to look at too. I’ll add something else here, just because I find it interesting - doctors aren’t sure what causes canker sores, however, hormonal changes can cause flares in some people. Acne too. So if certain inflammatory reactions are thought to be based on hormonal changes in women, maybe there is something going on there especially if they are already looking at estrogen.

Last edited by kfisher; 08-14-2018 07:55 AM.

3/2014: 25, no risk factors (nonsmoker, rare drinker, HPV negative) SCC right lateral tongue, T1N0M0 - well-differentiated; surgery - removal of tumor, salivary gland + neck dissection
11/2017 - ovarian torsion
12/2018 - basal cell skin cancer