If using real food instead of the formulas specially formulated for feeding tube use... be very careful and diligent about flushing the tube after "eating". There are well over 100 different kinds of formulas (mostly prescription formulas) so if one doesnt work there are other options to try. When using the tube with a feeding pump, make sure to lay, sit or sleep with your head at the bare minimum of 6" above your abdomen. If you can raise your bed or prop yourself up with pillows do your best to have an incline of at least a foot or more. When your feeding is finished, stay still for at least 30 minutes. Feeding tubes (and pumps) were NOT designed for regular blended food. The tube can break down or be damaged from using real food. Many patients also report the tub clogging from what they are using. Its also very difficult to monitor if you are getting a complete, balance diet when using real foods. Using real food can of course be done but be very aware of what can go wrong so you can correct the issue right away before it becomes a big problem and you need to have the tube replaced. Ive had that done more times than Im able to count and it is NOT a pleasant experience! I am fully awake, strapped down, laying on an xray table where the doc does the tube exchange. Ive done this so many times Ive become immune to the temporary discomfort. I do have a little lidocaine jelly at the tube site to numb it but I still can feel most of the procedure. Luckily, most of the doctors can do the swap very quickly.

If you are going to get a Vitamix blender, they are GREAT!!!! OCF has a Vitamix program that helps those OC patients who have a financial need and are permanently or very long term feeding tube users. PLEASE, consider buying the Vitamix blender from OCF... its the same price as Vitamix sets the prices for every single place that sells their blenders. You may see things like... (only a general guess for what ads say and Vitamix prices) regular price $850 but now its only $699 but the $699 is what you would pay no matter where its purchased. At least by buying it from OCF its helping fellow OC tube users.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma