I am disappointed that my 2nd chemo has to be postponed from tomorrow to hopefully next week. My neutrophils are at 0.8 and they're supposed to be at 1.5. I think this means that I will be getting only 2 chemos (Cisplatin) instead of 3. My chemo doc said there is evidence that 2 chemos is better than 1, but there is no evidence that 3 chemos is better than 2. Is it okay to ask on this Forum if others have heard something like that? I'm thinking of it as a question on other people's experience, not a medical question. He also said that probably 70% of patients only end up getting 2 chemos. He also said that the lower dose once weekly is only really used for older patients. I'm 54, and I guess that means I'm young! There's a smile for today.

On a positive note, tomorrow will be the halfway mark for rads, 3 weeks. Radiation side effects are in full force I guess, significant pain on swallowing, and omg I woke up in pain 3x last night due to sores on my tongue. I've had the Princess Margaret mouthwash just since Monday, and although it's helpful I wouldn't call it magic that's for sure. I also have some hydromorphone pills still from surgery and they told me today it's okay to take them, and they're sending in a liquid prescription for me as well. I do have a feeding tube in but I hope that it ends up being precautionary only and that I never have to use it. I will say though that on the weekend was the first time I thought I would need to use it before this is all done. I am monitoring my nutrition intake carefully, especially calories and protein, and I am just starting to use the recipe for the high calorie chocolate peanut butter shake. It's too hard to eat anything that I can't just swallow right now. The stupid tongue sores make chewing almost impossible so then I chew a bit and swallow and that swallow is pretty bad.

Anyway I've been feeling kind of down for the last few days, but I'll be okay. Tomorrow is halfway there. Yesterday I ordered 3 CDs I wanted, music cheers me up.

That's all for now.

(Edited - maybe this should be in the Currently in Treatment Forum? Sorry, I'm not sure.)

Last edited by embishop; 06-27-2018 08:09 AM.

Mouth/tongue cancer dx Feb 2018.
Surgery Apr 2018, partial glossectomy, tongue reconstruction (radial forearm flap donor site), neck dissection.
Tumour 2.5 cm, 0.8 cm deep.
Histologic grade G3 Poorly differentiated.
3 of 25 lymph nodes involved max size 0.6 cm.
pT2pN2b (stage 4a)
Chemo Radiation June / July 2018. Completed 35 rads, 2 of the 3 chemos.