Are you still in your chemo and radiation? That will make a difference, too.

I ended up seeing a speech therapist / OT but waited a good year or more after my final treatments. (I was just too darn tired to pursue it sooner, and kept thinking things would get better. Maybe they would have, actually ... it wasn't awful, but I was getting frustrated, and decided I needed help. Also, broke my shoulder in the interim and the PT slowed down all the other stuff I needed to do. Life is fun.) Anyway, the speech therapist has been wonderful. She's trained in a LOT of different things I never would have thought of ... not just speech, but swallowing exercises, special massage techniques for my radiated neck, my tongue, you name it ... all to loosen up the scar tissue and get things flowing again so it's not so tight and congested all the time. It was SO much more than just speech they helped me with, that I wish I'd been able to start sooner. We've kept at it longer than I expected, too, because it keeps on helping. We've taken a break as I had to go through oral surgery and am awaiting dentures (and I figure that'll reset some of my speech needs), but if you think you might want the help, find one that has that extra bit of training and can do more than just speech, because it will SO be worth it. However, if you're still in treatment, wait till it's all done, because massaging that radiated neck isn't going to feel good just yet... ((hugs))

Surgery 5/31/13
Tongue lesion, right side
SCC, HPV+, poorly differentiated
T1N0 based on biopsy and scan
Selective neck dissection 8/27/13, clear nodes
12/2/13 follow-up with concerns
12/3/13 biopsy, surgery, cancer returned
1/8/14 Port installed
PEG installed
Chemo and rads
2/14/14 halfway through carboplatin/taxotere and rads
March '14, Tx done, port out w/ complications, PEG out in June