The lists of best hospitals and CCCs are located at the bottom of this post. At CCCs they use a team based approach that has all the medical professionals on the same page. They get together at whats called a tumor board meeting so all are on the same page to create an individual treatment plan for each patient. Try your very best to not worry about things you cant control, like whether you will need rads or not. Focus on staying busy and doing positive things to make your life easier down the road. Anyone you tell of your OC that offers their assistance tell them when the time comes you will let them know what they can do to help. Theres a million small things that can be done to help you and your family get thru this as easy as possible. Friends and relatives can walk the dog, take out the trash, mow the lawn, take the children out for a play date, pick up prescriptions, help your wife by cooking a meal or with housework or yard work, etc. Start a list of those who offer their help by taking down everyones name and contact info. We all need a hand at some point, some more than others.

Radiation (which at this point is only a possibility, not definite) is not easy for most of us. What Ive noticed over the years is the patients who focus on their intake and push to hit the minimums are the ones who get thru it easier and have a faster recovery. Your age will help you to get thru any treatment you get easier than someone say in their 70s. One of the most important things you can do is to begin paying close attention to your intake, starting today. Every single day you need to hit the daily minimums of 2500 calories and 48-64 oz of water. If you can get 3000 calories thats even better. If you can push to take more in thats even better, even 3500 calories is not too much. Right now (regardless if you will have rads or not)... EAT!!! Have all your favorites and even desserts, you do not want to go into this craving anything. Whatever your treatments will be, your eating abilities probably will be temporarily compromised making eating difficult for a while. Plus, you want to be as strong as possible going into it no matter what your treatment will be. While going thru being diagnosed with cancer, treatments, and recovery patients will burn up an incredible amount of calories. I know the above amounts sound like ALOT, they really arent when talking about someone who has cancer. Always remember what one person goes thru does NOT mean everyone else will experience the same or even similar things. Everyone is different and will have their own unique experiences so what you read here might not apply to you at all. Focus on what is within your control and you will be just fine.

If seeing 2 different ENTs from the same practice you still should get a second opinion. This is especially true when the ENTs are giving different info!!! As previously mentioned at CCCs all the doctors meet together so everyone is on the same page. This is a huge help to patients!!! Off the top of my head I know FL has Moffitt which is one of the US's top CCC's. Theres also MD Anderson over in TX. I know you plan on working thru everything but please understand not every patient is able to do that. Of course, much depends on the type of job you do if it requires physical work or is a very demanding job with many intricate details that require great focus or an office job that is low stress. Patients who have worked full time for over one year (at least 1250 hours) at a business with over 50 employees (within 75 miles of your work location) qualify for FMLA to handle serious medical conditions for themselves or immediate family members. Its up to each business if this time off is paid or unpaid. You may have already used some of this FMLA time when your youngest child was born or sick. I suggest checking in with your HR dept (without mentioning anything about your illness!!!!) about what FMLA time you are eligible for this year. It never hurts to ask or to be prepared just in case you need some time off. Advance time off is something you cant predict especially since you do not know much about what to expect. You are NOT obligated to disclose any medical info to your employer so start off by being very smart about this and keep your cancer diagnosis private for as long as possible at your job.

List of Cancer Centers

US News Best Hospitals List

Main OCF Site, Understanding section

Main OCF Site -- Financial Assistance

Last edited by ChristineB; 06-01-2018 05:46 AM.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma