Welcome to OCF, Dan! You're in the very best place to get info and support to help you get thru whatever path you may be on with your recent diagnosis.

Oral cancer (OC) is not only diagnosed in people who smoke and drink, there are many (around 7%) who have this horrible disease with no known cause. It could be all kinds of reasons why one person gets this and another doesnt. Regardless of the "why", treatments are still the same so it might help you to focus on what is controllable and will help get you thru this. Best thing I can suggest to to eat all your favorites as whatever treatment you have will likely temporarily affect your ability to eat. You dont want to go into treatment having cravings!

Finding the very best medical care you can will be another important step to getting rid of your cancer. As mentioned by previous members, finding a Comprehensive Cancer Center (CCC) would be a very good choice for treatments, or at the very least a second opinion. Let me know if you need the list.

Best wishes with everything!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy