Maria, Im sorry to read about what you are going thru. At just 6 days post rads, you are right in the worst of it. Radiation is cumulative and continues to work even after finishing treatments. Most patients will report the first 2 - 3 weeks after completing rads are the hardest. I'll never forget how difficult this was! I spent many days stuck in the hospital for dehydration and malnutrition. I know how hard it is but you MUST push yourself to take in as much as possible, this is the only way to begin to feel better. If you can hit the daily minimums of 2500 calories and 48-64 oz of water, I guarantee you will feel a difference. Im glad to hear you are going for hydration, that helps tremendously!!! If you dont get enough water every day, you must get a few bags of fluids.

Do you have anyone helping you? If so maybe they could make this shake for you or pick up the baskin robbins shake you mentioned? If you dont have someone there with you, are there any friends or relatives that could stop by to give you a hand? Heres what I have posted to help other patients who are struggling with their intake. These giant chocolate, peanut butter milkshakes are loaded with calories. You can make it as thick or thin as you can tolerate.

Milkshakes and smoothies are easier going down than many things. Also try ensure or boost to try taking in the most balanced diet as possible. The following list should help you to find things you can eat easily like canned peaches (these will slide right down) or cream soups. I also enjoyed yoo-hoo and chocolate milk during rads and recovery, plus the extra calories sure didnt hurt. You may find that would help you too.

List of Easy to Eat Foods

Here is a recipe for something I used to make and drink when I went thru treatments and recovery in 2007. This shake has anywhere from 1500-2500 calories depending on how its made. The list of easy to eat foods may help you too, they mostly have a smoother texture and are easier to eat than most other foods.

(All measurements are estimates)

Giant High Calorie Choc-Peanut Butter Milkshake

3 or 4 cups chocolate ice cream (regular/full fat type)
2 tablespoons peanut butter (smooth type)
2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
1 or 2 cups whole milk (can substitute half and half to add even more calories)
1 scoop carnation instant breakfast
1 scoop high protein whey powder
(protein helps with healing, check with doc if this is ok)

Blend this extra long to make it very smooth and creamy so it goes down easier. If the shake is too thick, add more milk to thin it down to whatever consistency works best for you.

PPS... Centrum has an adult liquid multivitamin thats readily available at grocery and drug stores. Ive been taking it daily for 6+ months and can honestly say its helped me tremendously. I think this would be very helpful to you with just completing rads. When you feel good and strong it helps you to better manage everything else. If you have a feeding tube this is a liquid and can easily be put thru your tube.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma