Welcome to OCF, Maria! You are in a great place to help you with info and support. You've been thru alot and recovery can be a difficult time for many. You're not alone with being one of the few who have no known cause. We have many members who are right there with you. Im a former smoker so I know what caused my cancer. I dont know which would be harder, not knowing what was behind getting cancer or knowing you did it to yourself, that it was your choice to smoke and this is the result. I guess both situations really stink!!!

The very worst of rads is the last week or so of treatments and the first 2-3 weeks after rads ends. Radiation is cumulative and continues to work even after treatments have ceased. Most patients very slowly begin to feel a teeny bit better and start to notice improvements about 2 or 3 weeks post rads. Recovery can be full of ups and downs with some set backs thrown in to keep things interesting. I remember when I was at the stage you are at and felt the very worst I have ever felt in my life.

I hope you can do better than I did and push yourself to push your intake higher, you need to take in at the bare minimum 2500 calories and 48-64 oz of water every single day. If you can do more that is even better and will help speed up your healing. I can not stress enough how vitally important your intake is during these difficult days. Thats the single biggest controllable thing you can do during these bad few weeks to help get you into easier weeks where you can see you're making progress. If necessary, your doc can give you a prescription to get extra fluids at the hospital to help you to keep hydrated. You will be amazed at how much better you will feel after a couple bags of fluids. I would drag myself in, barely able to walk and a couple hours later I was all perked up and walked steadily out the door. Check with yoru doc about if its ok to add some high protein whey powder to your liquids to help speed your healing.

Mouth sores from rads are the absolute worst!!! Keep using the magic mouthwash (MM) when necessary. You can also rinse your mouth with 1 cup warm water, 1 tsp baking soda and 1 tsp salt. The salt will probably burn your sensitive mouth. Its ok to cut back the salt but do your very best to not completely omit it, try to keep some salt in the mixture so it really can help heal your sore mouth. Your doc can give you prescription meds to help ease your discomfort. Many patients who are at the same part of their treatments/recovery are using the fentanyl patch to keep a steady flow of meds in your system to manage your pain. I think when I was at about the same phase as where you are, I was using 150 mcg patch soon to be stepped down to 125, then 100, 75, etc.

Hang in there and get your rest to help you heal. Best wishes to have a speedy recovery.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma