Hello, and thanks for allowing me to join this group.

Here's my story: I first noticed a tiny lesion on the side of my tongue two months ago. Dismissing it as a canker sore (of course!), I did nothing about it. It was tiny and didn't hurt at first. But it grew and became tender and somewhat firm to the touch. Now it is quite painful, especially when speaking, which is bad for me, since I work in radio and talk for a living! Eating is also uncomfortable, though surprisingly to me, not as much so as talking. Saw my dentist for some other dental work, asked him to look at it, was immediately referred to oral surgeon for biopsy.

I saw the oral surgeon this week. She pointed out that there is some white leukoplakia around the lesion, and also that the lesion is comparatively small--about 1 cm x 1 cm. So we have scheduled an excisional biopsy for next Wednesday, and she will remove the entire lesion to send to pathology. I've been researching what I may be facing here, and I alternate between thinking "It's nothing" and thinking it will be either precancerous or malignant and being terrified. Though, if malignant, the oral surgeon believes we have caught it in an early stage.

Since I saw the oral surgeon earlier this week, I have noticed a small vertical line of red, topped by another small glob of white leukoplakia, a little farther back on the tongue from the original lesion. Is this an erythroplakia forming? Is it common for more than one area to form like that? (I know, I know, I'll ask the doc when I go in, but wondering about others' experiences.) There are also two or three very small white lesions and what looks to me look a larger area of red even farther back on the tongue. Maybe it's just my anxiety, maybe not.

Again, just seeking insight from others who may have gone through this. As I said, I'm a broadcaster, and being able to talk clearly is my livelihood. I don't mind telling that the idea of having my speech altered is a fairly frightening prospect to me.

Also--I am 54, male, have never used tobacco in any form and am a very light drinker (2-3 beers per month, liquor maybe twice a year--I'm a lightweight!).

Thanks for any insights you may have.