Thank you Paul and Christine for your quick responses! You both have been through so much, and I value the wisdom you've gained through your experiences.
I agree with you both that quick intervention is best, but I also don't mind holding off a bit as I have a history of these types of sores coming and going. My husband is taking pictures every few days so we can see if there appears to be any improvement which would give us hope that the biopsy is not necessary. Like you, Christine, I have had those biopsies done in the office without numbing. Although not pleasant, I'm not afraid to have that procedure done again, I just don't want the raw spot in an area that has so little tissue left, if it's not necessary. I need to be able to wear the prosthesis in order to eat and speak and I worry that an area which can't heal, right where the prosthesis fits, would make life extremely difficult. I will try the mouthwashes again to promote the healing and also up my protein intake as you suggested. I know I need to not get ahead of myself, but if it does turn out to be a recurrence, are there any other non-surgical interventions that you all have experienced or heard about? Although I have complete confidence in my team at Stanford, I would definitely be open to a second opinion if this is another recurrence. I am in California, but would be willing to travel if there are cancer centers you all know of that have specifically dealt with this types of recurring SCC. Thanks to everyone willing to share their experiences!

Teacher Karen
DX: SCC of right maxillary alveolar ridge, 9/2010.
Surgery 11/2010, removal of 4 teeth and gum.
Surgery 11/2012, removal of 3 teeth and gum.
IMRT 1/2013-2/2013
Surgery 1/2015 retromolar trigone resection; removal of 1 tooth and gum.
Surgery 10/2015 left modified radical neck dissection, inferior parotidectomy, external carotid artery resection.
Cetuximab based chemoradiation 64.8 Gy to resection bed.
Surgery 6/19/2018 Right inferior maxillectomy, bilateral low palate resection