Im sorry I must have misread your first post about starting rads. I focused on what went on during your hospitalization with your heart and how lucky you were to have it happen then. Please tell me you are not starting rads without having a mask!!! After you get past the first rad treatment, it shouldnt be so hard since you now understand what its all about. Its definitely NOT fun being in that mask and on the table but its doable!!!

Make sure you pay very close attention to your intake. This is one of the few things patients have control over. Its also what will get you thru rads in the easiest way possible. Every single day make it your goal to hit the bare minimums of 2500 calories and 48-64 oz of water. Do this every single day, if you can push yourself and take in 3000, 3500 or more thats ok, that will be a big help in how your do with side effects. Formula counts towards your water intake. You still will need regular plain water, thats especially important for patients getting chemo. You must flush that chemo out of your system. Even though the nurse will give you fluids and meds along with the chemo, you still will need a couple bottles of water the day of and after chemo. Also some chemos will affect your hearing. It could be just a little low frequency buzz but its the start of permanent hearing loss. Make certain you speak up and tell your doc for any changes, even minor ones.

Good luck!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy