I can certainly understand your frustration! I would be upset too. Im sure this was not the news you were expecting today. This sure has not been easy.

Have you considered getting a second opinion? At this point you have nothing to lose. Rads has not started yet. Even if you had to delay rads by a few weeks, if I remember correctly rads was being done to clean up any cells that may have been missed in the surgery. It wasnt being done to eliminate a specific tumor, is that correct? If so, then you should have enough time to have another surgery or go for a second opinion. Thats just an idea I had. Of course Im not a doctor. It just makes sense to me thinking they would want to go in there and know for certain (thru a biopsy) what exactly was lighting up on the scan. Its not only cancer that shows up, so does any inflammation or scar tissue all looking pretty much the same. If you had a second opinion (if a CCC is an option that would be best), another skilled medical professional would review everything and work to give you a treatment plan.

Wishing you all the very best with everything you are going thru.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma