I didn't keep mine covered for nearly as long as Christine. Once the scabs healed and it looked mostly like normal skin again, I stopped with the total gauze wrap and moved on to smaller and smaller bandages as it healed more completely. I found that occasionally the new skin would crack open somewhat so I'd have to put some more antibiotic ointment on it and cover with the bandages. I used the 2" x 3" rectangular gauze and cloth tape for a few months, then the spot that would most often burst open occasionally healed well enough that a regular Band-Aid would often do the trick.

When I had the larger gauze bandages on, so many people asked me to see my new tattoo, assuming that's what it was, but I had to explain to them what had happened. Some people thought it was pretty neat (what the doctors could do), while a few others were horrified and embarrassed that they asked such a question and felt bad until I reassured them that it was ok. If on one particular day you're just mad at the world and you don't want to have to deal with that, wear longsleeves.

Dx 2014Jan29 (42 yr old otherwise fit nonsmoker)
SCC tongue stage III T3N0M0
subtotal glossectomy, partial neck dissection, RFFF, trach, NG tube 2014Feb25 16 days in hospital
RAD 25 zaps 2014May5-2014Jun9
Back to work, paddling & hiking shortly afterwards