I wore a strip of stretchy gauze over my arm free flap site for about 2, maybe 3 years after I had surgery in 2009. I had 40 staples in that site to help connect the new tissue. Boy oh boy was that uncomfortable to put it mildly! At the pharmacy thats in my hospital, they have a section for durable medical supply equipment and other specialized patient items. I would go ask for a couple pieces of the gauze sleeve cover up at a time. They would cut them as patients asked for them. Im not sure why but I stopped covering it up a few years ago and I never looked back. It does kinda resemble a shark bite. Im almost 8 years after the big surgery and my scar has greatly faded where its not as noticeable as back when I had recently had it done.

PS... Ive sent you an important private message (PM) that I send all new members. In the PM is a link that goes over the most common things for new members. Please take some time and click on the tiny flashing envelope next to your My Stuff tab near the top center of your page. How to make and add your signature is included in that link too. Having a signature is very important. Please review the PM when you have time and add your signature. Im hoping you do this prior to starting your treatments. Thank you smile

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma