I know this is an old post, but I do not have any insurance whatsoever. I suspected I might have cancer, so I purchased some lump sum cancer policies...small 2 ($25000) policies, I knew this would not cover the Cancer but might help my family with some expenses while I was being taken care of. Anyway...After confirming that I, indeed, did have tongue cancer...Everything has progressed quite quickly...within a week and a half, I have been diagnosed, had a CT scan, having preop in 2 days and surgery the next day. So, no time to plan ahead. This past Thursday (04-27-17) my CT scan was scheduled but before I could do so, I was told it was $1655.00 out of pocket. I could not handle it, so, I broke down crying. I managed to pay 655.00 and billed the rest. I was so upset, that I decided to try my luck with Medicaid, (I have no technical job as I have worked in our family business with no pay check for the past 30 years, still live with the folks and take care of them as well), The Social Security office was my last hope really. I went there --no appointment--just waited in line...Once I sat down and explained my situation he said I should qualify for SSI with Medicaid...as I don't make very much money and have very limited possessions...so I gave him tax returns, my pathology report, and all the other pertinent info. He filed it for me and said that since I am about to be out of commission for a while (which I told him --could be weeks, months or a year or more) and the diagnosis is Cancer, coupled with the "no money"...I would get pushed to the front of the line so to speak with the SS administration, as it is considered an emergency. I just checked last night on the SS website...he said, that I would be denied regular Social Security, but I would be approved for SSI with Medicaid. Well, true to his word, it said I was denied SS, but the status for SSI with Medicaid is in the Pending stage. **Long Story short....finances are a big part of stress with this Cancer thing...don't be afraid to seek the help, no matter from what source. You might be surprised at the support you will receive.

04/21/17 Biopsy at ENT
04/25/17 Biopsy result SCC on left side tongue
04/27/17 CT Scans--shows shallow tumor
05/02/17 Pre-op
05/03/17 Surgery to remove tumor
05/08/17 Cancer still present
05/10/17 2nd surgery-
06/05/17 PET on 6th, RADS start on 06/20/17
07/11/17 Halfway point!
08/01/17 Last treatment
11/1/17 Cancer is back
11/15/17 Emory University surgery. neck dissection, left lymph nodes removed, tongue free flap from left arm with skin graft.